Saturday, January 01, 2005
Talking About Some Resolutions

Since it is January 1, I'm going to bring up the dreaded R word. That's right...RESOLUTIONS. I usually avoid this subject because it usually sets me up to fail. I either set up plans and don't end up following through, or I follow through, and things don't change, so I give up. I couldn't take that added pressure!! But, this year I've made some positive changes, but I haven't been as committed as I could be. I'd like to add on to what I've done right in 2004, and set some major goals/resolutions for this year.
  1. Exercise. Above all, this is the area where I am not consistent. I've joined the gym back in September and have done well with getting to my Tuesday aerobics class (except for December), I have many videos and equipment for home workouts and have used them, but I still have been using time as an excuse. Three days of serious exercise and the rest of the days filled with walking (if that) is not going to cut it. So, I am doing a new schedule for my life again since the new semester will start on Wednesday. My goal is to get to the gym 4X a week...I am aiming for 2X this week and go up from there. On the days that I don't go, I will pop in an exercise video, use the Gazelle, or go for a power walk (not at a leisurely mall-type pace!)
  2. Drink more water!! This is the next area I've been slipping. For a full year, I drank pretty much nothing but water. I regularly drank more than 120 oz. a day. Then, I started school this fall and started being desperate for caffeine. To achieve getting the water in again, I will be working to drink 24 oz. of water with each meal. If I drink a pop (or soda, but that's a whole other debate), I will chase it down with an equal amount of water.
  3. Write it down! I've never consistently journaled my food, guesstimating after my first two weeks of WW what I've had. I may think I'm not eating much, but I'm sure it all adds up.
  4. Destress. Anyone who knows me well can tell you that I'm a big worry wart. I stress about my job performance, my future, marriage/lack of proposals, the slowness of losing my belly, grades, family problems, when to move, etc. So for now, I'm going to figure out what is truly important to me (my health!!) and focus on that. Whether I get married this year or 10 years from now isn't, nor is whether I'm #2 or #15 in my department. My perfectionist tendencies are going to be hard to break, but I really would like to avoid unnecessary grey hairs.
  5. Eat 100% on plan. To do this, I will make weekly meal plans. When I stuck to that, I did well. I will make a strong effort to cook at home and cut out the fast food. I've found some great recipes for lunches, which is the meal that I struggle with keeping healthy the most since I don't have a fridge at school, that I want to try as well.
I think this will definitely keep me on track. To keep me honest, I'm posting this contract to myself.

I, Jodi (aka MsGigglepuss) hereby resolve to implement the following health/fitness resolutions for the year 2005.
  • I will lose five pounds per month for a total of 60 pounds by December 31, 2005. This goal is pretty realistic according to how I've done when focused.
  • I will work out six times per week for a minimum of 45 minutes, barring illness or injury.
  • I will perform resistance exercise twice per week for 30 minutes using a whole body workout routine.
  • I will increase my flexibility by stretching three days per week for 7-10 minutes and doing yoga or pilates twice per week for at least 30 minutes (flexibility is important and it doesn't take all that much to improve upon it).
  • I will prepare healthy meals at home at least 4X a week.
  • I will increase my endurance by two minutes per week so that I can have an additional 20 minutes on the elliptical by March 1, 2005.
  • I will find a videotape/DVD that I enjoy and will do it twice a week per month for the months of January and February, and then move on to another one so I don't get bored!



I will update my progress weekly right here. If you notice it missing, comment or email me to bug me about it!!